Image Courtesy: Arian Zwegers
Rajasthan never fails to mesmerize its visitors with its rich history, its culture, its customs, and its art. Beautiful and precious souvenirs are available in the small lanes and the tiny villages of the state.
1. Gemstones and Ornaments
The markets of Rajasthan offer beautifully crafted jewelleries like the kundan, and other precious gemstones that are carved into authentic wearable items. With other designed ornaments made from silver like necklaces, cuffs, and anklets available in the market, jewelry and gemstones are ideal souvenirs to take home.
- Jodha from the Jodha Akbar movie wore authentic Rajasthani jewelry
- Pratapgarh and Chittaur are the best places to find authentic Jewelry
2. Art work
The true essence of a painting is in its ability to capture the attention of the whole room while enhancing the aesthetic feel of the room. A Rajputana painting is able to do this as the artwork is lively and royal.
- Rajputana paintings usually feature war heroes and religious figures
- Jodhpur, Ajmer, and Bikaner have a myriad of authentic Rajasthani art shops
3. Figurines of Rajasthan
Usually the metal work on offer from Rajasthan includes figurines, cutlery, and table tops that are made traditionally from brass and silver. However, the metal ware adopted a more operational design and convenient material in the form of wrought iron.
- Authentic designs available in Rajasthan are ‘Marori’, ‘Chikan’, and ‘Bichi’
- Jaipur is a hot-spot for the best metal figurines in the state
4. Blue pottery
Authentic Blue pottery, one of the most rare ceramic styles across the whole globe is available in Rajasthan. Unlike conventional methods that use clay, blue pottery utilizes a unique component in quartz stones that enhance its texture.
- Blue Pottery Designs are inspired from Persian art
- Blue Pottery is also available in other colors like green, yellow, etc.
It’s not the magic flying carpets, but carpets that are hand-woven with the finest quality of woolen fibers that are bright in color with exquisite designs that Rajasthan has to offer. The Rajasthani history of carpet weaving goes back to as early as the 1700’s.
- The carpet market in Rajasthan is mainly centered around Bikaner, Ajmer, and Jaipur
- Small towns like Tonk, Barmer, and Choksu feature authentic Rajasthani style hand-woven carpets
6. Fabric work
Rajasthani culture, especially the fabric and designs are very popular in the whole world and have been adopted by other countries. The embroidery, dye work, bandhni, color patterns all are unique to the Rajasthani trademark. Lahariya and Mothra frameworks are popular among the locals.
- The textiles widely used in Rajasthan are cotton, silk, and wool
- Sanganeri and Bagru are tiny villages that provide the fabric to the entire state
Stories in Rajasthan are told through puppets in shows and exhibitions all around the state. Rajasthani puppets are often hand-made and designed meticulously as they are products of a rich cultural background.
- Jodhpur’s Mehrangarh fort has a world-famous puppet shop
- The cities of Udaipur, Sawai-Madhopur and Bari are famous for their puppet shops
Handicrafts are a popular item to take home as souvenirs from any visit to India. However, Rajasthani handicrafts are different, they are authentic, utilize only the strongest material, and more importantly, are hand-woven.
- Handicraft industry has been blooming in Rajasthan
- Udaipur’s Handicraft stores are famous in the world
9. Designer clothing/shoes
One of the most prominent thoughts that occupy the mind of a tourist while thinking of Rajasthan is the clothing. The outfits that are traditionally worn by the locals is vibrant and is a trademark. Even the shoes they wear are authentic and have their own craft behind them.
These aren’t the regular umbrellas that you get anywhere in India or abroad. The Rajasthani umbrellas come from a land of rich history and reflect the culture and heritage in its designs. The umbrellas are designed meticulously and have vibrant colors to their regal design.
- Rajasthani Umbrellas are available in different sizes including an extra-large size for weddings
- The designs are inspired from Rajasthani outfits
Rajasthan is a state that packs surprises for a visitor in every corner of the state. It is indeed a travelers paradise!
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!