Image courtesy: Shriram Rajagopalan
The Ajanta-Ellora caves being one of the important tourist spots in India, there are many visitors visiting this place every year. The Ajanta Ellora caves have one of the most impressive architectures and carvings in the world. The visitors are really delighted by visiting this place. Many visitors come here out of curiosity regarding this place. So we have collected some of the facts regarding Ajanta-Ellora caves. Many of these facts are really surprising. Let us look at some of the 10 unknown facts about Ajanta -Ellora caves:
1. Discovered by Army Officer
Ajanta Caves were unknown for many years. However, an Army officer had discovered these Ajanta caves, while he was on a hunting expedition. The name of that Army officer was John Smith. He was a British officer from the Madras Presidency in British India. The discovery of Ajanta Ellora caves was a great achievement.
- This place was unknown to the world until it was discovered in 1819 AD.
- When this caves were discovered, it was covered with dense forest
2. Excavated between 2nd century and 6th century
Although this place was discovered in the 19th century, the place seems to have been excavated earlier also. Tentatively this place may have been excavated between 2nd century and 6th century. The caves are very large and beautiful.
- The rock cut images are really very wonderful
- The earlier excavation may not have been completed
3. Made During Satavahana Period
The Ajanta Ellora caves are believed to be been made during the Satavahana period. The Satavahanas ruled mostly in the Deccan region. Their empire ruled between 271 BCE to 30 BCE. The Ajanta Ellora carvings are one of the landmarks of this regime.
- The Satavahana Kingdom comprised major current states like Maharashtra, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh
- The Satavahana kingdom was the strongest kingdom in India during that time
4. Height Of These Caves Is More Than 70 Meters
Generally, most of the other caves discovered are not very high. However, the Ajanta Ellora caves are comparatively very high; around 70 meters from ground level. These caves appear very beautiful due to their location at a nice height.
- It is recommended that tourists should choose the bus service to visit Ajanta caves
- These caves appear great from a distance
5. Stupas Were The Objects Of Worship
The main objects of worship in the Ajanta caves were the beautifully designed Stupas. The construction of the Stupas were one of the excellent features of the design of the Ajanta Caves. The pillars looks awesome.
- The well-designed worshipping area reflects the developed state of the society of those days
- Stupas are one of the main source of attraction for the tourists
6. Glue Was Used As A Binding Material For Painting
The paintings done on the Ajanta caves did not get destroyed easily after some years. Glue was used in good quantity to bind the painting material. The glue must have been of very high quality .
- The paintings look awesome in the Ajanta caves
- The glues used is doing its job very nicely for over two thousand years now
7. One Of The Major Tourist Attractions In Maharashtra
The Ajanta caves are one of the greatest monuments of India. These Ajanta caves are really awesome and have become a major tourist attraction in Maharashtra. Many people from around Maharashtra visit this place.
- Maharashtra government has provided lots of facilities for the tourists at Ajanta Ellora caves
- Ajanta Ellora caves is one of the most sophisticated tourist spots in Maharashtra
8. Archaeological Survey Of India Is Taking Care Of These Caves
Ajanta Ellora caves being one of the best tourist destinations in India, the Archaeological Survey of India is taking care of these caves, making all the necessary provisions for the upkeep of Ajanta Ellora caves. They have made available all the necessary provisions for the tourists of Ajanta Ellora caves
- The Archaeological Survey of India is the nodal agency for upkeep of monuments in India
- Ajanta Ellora caves have been taken care of very nicely by them
9. The Art Is Inspired By Buddhist Religious Art
The art work done in the Ajanta Ellora caves is very beautiful. The art work done is particularly inspired by Buddhist art. The art and paintings depict the stories of Jataka tales, which particularly shows the teachings of Buddhists. The art work is very impressive.
- The art work is highly appreciated by people from all over the world
- The Indian qualty of art in early days can be easily seen through this
10. Declared As World Heritage Site By UNESCO
The Ajanta Ellora caves being a great reflection of arts and architecture, UNESCO has declared the Ajanta Ellora caves as a World Heritage sites. This reflects how great and wonderful are these Ajanta Ellora caves. These caves are known all over the world.
- The full form of UNESCO is United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- The inclusion of Ajanta Ellora caves in the World Heritage sites list has made these caves internationally popular
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!