Image courtesy: Priyesh Balakrishnan
Odisha is an ancient state in India, with a rich cultural heritage. Odiya is the most spoken language in Odisha. The ancient Kalinga kingdom is situated in Odisha itself. The state has a variety of temples with great architectural beauty. There are various rivers flowing through Odisha like Rushikulya, Mahanandi, Brahmani, Baitarani, Budhabalanga, Subarnarekha, etc. There are many wonderful places in Odisha, which has been attracting many of the tourists from all over the world. So let’s see some of the 10 best places to visit in Odisha:
1. Shree Jagannath Temple, Puri
The Shree Jagannath temple is one of the Char dham Hindu sites, situated in the Puri region of Odisha.This temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna. The chariot festival or Rath Yatratakes place here and is very famous all over the world. The temple is beautifully built, with four entrance doors in four directions.The temple is opened only between 5 am to 12a.m midnight. So, a person can enter the temple within this time frame only. This being one of the famous Hindu temples in India, people from all over the countery as well as the world visit here.
- The four Char Dham places in India are Rameswaram, Badrinath, Puri and Dwarka
- The Jagannath temple has four distinct structure which are Deula, Mukhashala, Nata Mandir, Bhoga Mandapa
Bhubaneswar is the capital city of Odisha. The city is very well-developed both culturally and economically. Bhubaneswar is also called as the temple city of India, as this city has most of the temples here. The temples built here are architecturally wonderful and has been built very nicely. The climate of the Bhubaneswar city is very beautiful and comfortable.
- Some of the well-known temples here are Mukteshwar temple, Lingaraja temple, Parsurameswara temple and many more
- The Chandak Wildlife Sanctuary is another attractive place here, where most of the tourist do visit
Cuttack is one of the well-known and ancient cities in India. It is one of the main commercial cities of Odisha now. The city’s name Cuttack, is derived from the word ‘fort’. The city is located very beautifully between the two rivers of Kathajodi and Mahanadi. Apart from that, there are many attractive and picturesque destinations for the tourists to visit here.
- The Cuttack city is also known as “Millenium City” and “Silver City”
- The city has recently established many of the business here
4. Lingaraj Temple
The Lingaraj temple is situated in Bhubaneswar and is a very famous and ancient temple, which been visited by many of the tourists over the years. It is said that the Somavamsi dynasty may have built this temple in the ancient times. The temple is maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India and Temple Trust Board. Shivratri is the major festival celebrated here.
- The entrance door is made out of sandalwood, which is relative very strong
- It is estimated that around 6,000 visitors come to this temple every day
Jeypore is one of the place in Odisha with beatiful scenic beauty. It is the second largest city in southern Odisha. The dense forests and wonderful waterfall, attracts tourists here.The tourists can even see some of the different tribal people here. This place has recently done quite a good progress in the commercial sector. It is also rich in minerals.
- Gupteshwar Caves, Deomali, Kolab falls, Patroput are visited by many of the tourists
- Jeypore literally means “The city of victory”
6. Chandipur Beach
The Chandipur Beach is one of the marvellous beaches in Odisha. The beautifully maintained beaches, along with nice delicious dishes around the beach has really attracted many people here. The seawaves provide a relaxing experience.
- The Baleswar railway station is near from the Chandipur Beach
- This beach has got highest number of visitors in whole Odisha
7. Konark Sun Temple
Konark Sun Temple is a popular temple. This temple is dedicated to the Sun God in the Hindu mythology known as Surya. This temple has nice architecture. The beautiful walls, pillars, wheels and gigantic chariot look alluring. The temple being near Puri and Bhubaneshwar,has many visitors coming here throughout.
- This temple has been featured in the seven wonders of India
- Konark Sun temple has used the iron beams for its construction
Rourkela is a famous city in Odisha for the various steel plants set up here. This city is also called as the “Steel city of Odisha”. In the year 2016, this city was included in the list of smart city scheme. There are many of the other attractive places her like Green Park, Vaishno Devi temple, Darjeeng, Nehru Traffic Park, etc. which are constantly attracting tourists.
- Rourkela is also known as “Ispat Nagar”
- The word Rourkela is originated from word Sadri (Your Home) which is a tribal word
9. Ratnagiri Monastery
Ratnagiri Monastery includes different statues of the Buddha and stupas. This place is also near from the Udayagiri, Lalitgiri and Pushpagiri. Massive excavation of this place has discovered many such statues.
- The largest stupas discovered here is around 47 feet in height which looks amazing
- Recently government has considerably encouraged the tourists here with several facilities
10. Chilika Lake
The Chilika lake is one of the most beautiful lakes in India. The Chilika lake happens to be the largest coastal lagoon in India. This lake is home to many of the different kinds of fishes and birds. The fishes here are in very large quantity in this lake. The arrival of different migratory birds is another attractive thing regarding this lake for bird watchers. The tourists visit here in very large numbers every year to enjoy this wonderful ecosystem.
- The species like marine seaweeds, crabs, fishes and sea grasses can be found here
- The government has given great priority for the conservation of this lake
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!