Image courtesy: Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay.
Odisha happens to be a well-known state in India. The state is situated on the East side of India. Odisha is definitely a favorite destination for many tourists. Odisha is very rich culturally. It is quite interesting to talk about the local dishes in Odisha. There are many local dishes in Odisha which are really very delicious and tasty. These dishes are really liked by many tourists visiting in Odisha. Let’s now see some of the 10 Popular Local Dishes in Odisha:
Pithas are one of the most popular dishes in Odisha. Most of the festivals in Odisha are celebrated with these delicious dishes. This dish is very sweet in taste. Some of the varieties of the Pithas are Chittau Pitha, Enduri Pitha, and Chhena poda Pitha. These dishes are really very fantastic. The Pithas are made of wheat flour and also rice flour and are liked by many people.
- The sweet pithas usually contains palm syrup, jaggery and sugar
- These pithas also has various names like Chitau Pitha, Gaintha Godi, Karanji, Malpua and many more
2. Rice dishes and rotis
The rice dishes and rotis are the common dishes that are eaten in Odisha. These dishes may seem a little unusual kind of food, but there are of many varieties. The rotis made here are very soft and tasty and tastes awesome with many vegetables. Rice is eaten either with dal or curry. Other vegetables served with it simply increase the taste of the rice.
- Many of the people have this dish in their daily meal
- The cost of this dish very affordable in the resataurants in the Odisha
The curries happen to be a very tasty dish of Odisha. One can easily find many of the curry dishes in many of the restaurants in Odisha. There are different kinds of curries found in Odisha. The curries with tamarind and raw mangoes have a mouthwatering taste. Also, curries made with lobsters and prawns have a very good taste.
- Many of the local people of Odisha like eating these curry dishes occasionally
- Several other types of the curry dishes are Santula, Chaatu Rai, Alu Potala Rosa, Kadali Manju Rai, etc.
Khichdi happens to be a very tasty dish in Odisha. This dish is made with rice and lentils. This dish is also eaten during fasting. It will be noteworthy to say that this dish is served in most of the regions of Odisha. Many of the tourists visiting Odisha like eating this dish.
- The Khechadi is offered as a prasada to the Jagannath temple to the Lord Jagannath
- Various distinct flavors are added to the Khechadi to add different tastes
Dalma is a well-known local dish in Odisha. The dish is made with vegetables and toor dal or other types of lentils. The vegetables included in this dish are banana stem, unripe banana, green papaya, pumpkin, drum sticks, etc. Various types of spices are added in this dish to increase the taste of the dish. This dish is really very awesome.
- Many of the people of Odisha have this dishes included in their daily meal
- Former president Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam, also included this dish in their house menu
Saag is another common dish found in the daily meals of the people of Odisha. The green leaves are mainly used in the preparation of the Saag. There are different types of Saag dishes like koshala, khada, gahama, pita, sajana, etc. The Saag dish is a very delicious dish whose beautiful smell can really increase the appetite of many people.
- The different types of Saaga dishes are Saaga bhaja, Saga baadi, Kosala saaga bhaja, etc.
- Many of the people in Odisha like eating different variety of Saaga
7. Machha besara
The Machha Besara is a nice dish eaten by many local people of Odisha. This dish is basically a fish dish. To make this dish, one needs to have fish, oil, red chili powder, garlic, mustard seeds, onion, potatoes, tomatoes, etc. This dish has a very spicy taste and any fish loving people will definitely like to eat it again and again. This dish can be enjoyed mostly in the coastal areas and in nearby areas of Odisha.
- The fish used in this dish is usually Cat Fish or Rohu Fish
- This dish is found in most of the restaurants in the Odisha
8. Fritters and fries
Fritters and fries are another type of dish that has very nice taste. There are different kinds of fritters and fries that are eaten in Odisha; however, in Odisha the most common fries and fritters that are eaten are the potato fries and fritters. The tourists are really fascinated to eat these fries here. The more crispy the fritters and fries, the more delicious they are to taste.
- One can use different types of sauces to eat with Fritters and Fries
- Many of the foreign tourist mostly eat this dish here
9. Chungdi Malai
Chungdi Malai is a very nice and delicious dish found mostly along the coastal regions of Odisha. This dish basically includes prawns, coconut milk, various types of spices, etc. This dish has a great taste when eaten with Basmati rice. The dishes are served in many of the restaurants. There are many people in Odisha who likes eating this dish at least once in a weak.
- This dish is also called as “Chingri Maach’er Malai Curry”.
- This dish is vary common in many of the houses of Odisha
Malpua is a very tasty dish found everywhere in Odisha. This dish is just like a pancake which includes various ingredients like milk, crushed ripe bananas, cardamoms, and coconut. It is then fried and served. This dish is comparatively very easy to make, so the experts surely make these dishes tasty and also people who are new can also make this dish tasty.
- This dish is served to the Lord Jagannath as a morning food
- This dish is a very common local dish found in most of the regions
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!