Image courtesy: soumyajit pramanick.
Sikkim is the second smallest and the least populous state in India. The state lies in the North-Eastern region of the country. The state is well-known for its cultural heritage and has many naturally attractive places. Many of the tourists are allured towards Sikkim to enjoy the astounding beauty of the state. There are many places in Sikkim which can soothe your mind with its natural beauty. Some of the places in Sikkim are flooded with tourists continuously. Let us go through 10 popular tourist attractions in Sikkim:
1. Tsomgo Lake
The Tsmogo lake is located at high elevation. This lake cannot be visited easily by anyone. One needs to have the permit to visit this lake, as this lake falls under a restricted area. The lake is one of the most visited places by tourists in Sikkim. This is a glaciated lake, where most of its land is covered in ice.
- This lake is also called as the “Changu Lake”
- The lake is covered from all sides with the mountainous area
2. Nathula Pass
The Nathula Pass has got importance strategically due to its location. The Nathula Pass connects the Bengal to Lhasa which is the capital of Tibet. Tourists visit the Nathula Pass area in large numbers. Its picturesque valley, wondrous to look at. The Nathula Pass is also a favourite of many hikers. The Nathula pass had played an important role in the Sino-Indian trade.
- The Nathula Pass can be visited by only Indian people
- This place was once a part of the ancient “Silk Route”
3. Kanchendzonga National Park
The Kanchendzonga National Park is present in Sikkim. The park occupies a vast area. The Kanchendzonga National Park consists of a wide range of vegetation like maple, birch, fir, oaks, etc. Variety of trees can easily be found in this forest. This park is also home to many animals like snow leopard, musk deer, Clouded Leopard and many more. This is a brilliant spot for the tourist where they can admire the incredible Biodiversity.
- This park consists of small number of “Lepcha” tribal people
- The UNESCO has included this place in the world heritage site
Yuksom is one of the oldest town located in West Sikkim. This place is blessed with natural beauty. The lush green forests in all directions calm one’s mind. The tourists coming here feel relaxed and they create some beautiful memories here. The Tashi tenka is a royal palace located here which is worth visiting.
- The meaning of the word Yuksom is “meeting place of the three learned monks”
- The “Bhutia” is the main tribal community people staying here
5. Khecheopalri Lake
Khecheopalri Lake is an enchanting lake in Sikkim. The name is derived from the word ‘Kha-Chot-Palri’ which literally translates to Lord Padmasambhava. This lake is sacred to both Hindus and Buddhists. It is believed that this lake fulfills wishes, which has drawn many tourists coming to Sikkim. Its beautiful charisma has charmed many tourists.
- The lake has an unusual feature, where you can hardly find any leaves floating on this lake as they are immediately picked up by the birds
- This lake is locally named as Sho Dzo Sho, which means “Oh Lady, Sit Here”
Zuluk is a significant place in the Sikkim due to its association with the silk route. This place is located at a higher altitude. One can easily find attractive mountainous area nearby as one reaches the top of the mountain. The place appears charismatic, with some winding roads wrapped in lush green forest.
- The Thambi View Point is very interesting spot here which should be definitely visited by the tourists
- There transit point for the Army people near the Chinese border is an interesting place
7. Rumtek Monastery
Rumtek Monastery is an architectural marvel that you can admire here. Built in the 16th century, the monastery was in ruin when the 16th Karmapa arrived in Sikkim after fleeing from Tibet. However, it was rebuilt again in the year 1959. This monastery covers a large area. The architectural beauty of this monastery simply stuns many tourists who arrive here. The ritual of the Karma Kagyu lineage is a unique ceremony held in this monastery.
- This is the largest monastery in the state
- The college Karma Shri Nalanda Institute is very near from this monastery
8. Himalayan Zoological Park
The Himalayan Zoological Park is located at a higher altitude. This park has a wide range of faunal diversity. Different animals are found here like the Barking Deer, Large Indian Civets, Tibetan Wolfs, Red Panda, Snow Leopards, etc. Many tourists visit the Himalayan Zoological Park. This Park is amusing for children.
- Due to the location of this park at high altitude, this park is also called as ‘High-altitude zoo’
- The Government of Sikkim has taken special efforts to preserve the park
Ravangla is a beautiful place situated in the heart of a forest. The Buddha park in Ravangla is one of the main tourist attraction present here. One can see the huge statue of Buddha, situated at an enormous height which can easily be viewed from all sides. The location of Ravangla at the foothills of the Himalayan mountain range bestowed upon it the beauty of nature.
- Ravangla is situated between the Rangit valley and the Teesta valley
- The view of the Mount Kanchenjunga looks very amazing from here
Namchi is an amazing place residing in the mountains. This happens to be a place to relish a cup of coffee with your dear ones while enjoying the fresh air. The Lord Shiva statue in Siddhesvara Dhaam is one of the main attractions for tourists coming to Namchi. Every year many people from different location come to Namchi to visit this religious location.
- This place has won the National Tourism Awards in the 2010–11 year
- This place has a popular football stadium named Bhaichung stadium
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!