Image courtesy: ILRI.
Nagaland is a wonderful and fascinating state, just liker other six sisters, situated in the North East region of India. The diverse culture of Nagaland in one word is phennomenal. The state has been gifted with remarkable landscapes which attracts many tourists from around the world. Despite Ngaland being a famous tourist destination there still remains many unexplored yet wonderful places in Nagaland which tourists should definitely visit. Many tourists have visited this place and are stunned by its beauty. Let’s see some of the underrated tourist destinations in Nagaland:
Kohima is the capital of Nagaland and is one of the most developed cities of the state. Although this city is developed, the scenic beauty of the city is still retained. The city also reflects the fine culture and festivities of the Nagaland state. The markets here are vibrant which grabs the attention of many of the tourists visiting the place. It was earlier known as kewhira.
- The Kohima State Museum is popular place visited by many tourists
- In remembrance of the soldiers who fought and died in second World War, a Kohima War Cemetery is been built
2. Japfu Peak
The Japfu Peak is the second highest peak in Nagaland. It is located in Kohima. The tall Rhododendron trees makes this place all the more attractive. Most tourists are allured to this place because of these beautiful scenic attraction. This peak is indeed a nice destination for people who love trekking. You will get to witness amazing natural beauty in the surrounding area while you are trekking to the top of the peak.
- The Japfu Peak is the second highest peak in Nagaland
- The Rhododendron trees found here are one of the tall trees found in the world
The Mon Village is a town that you can visit in Nagaland. This land is also known as the land of Konyak Nagas Mon, whose natives’ main occupation is agriculture. This place produces one of the fine harvests in the whole state. The “Aoleang Monyu” is one of the most colorful festivals that is celebrated here, tourists should not miss. This place is known for Headhunting as it was practised in the ancient times.
- Longwa is an interesting village here which shares the boundary with Myanmar
- The Veda Peak is very popular peak in the Nagaland state
4. Dzukou Valley
The Dzukou Valley is a pleasant place to visit inNagaland-Manipur border. The panoramic view of these wonderful valleys stun many of the tourists visiting the place. The Dzukou Valley is one of the hot destinations for the trekkers. They have some amazing adventures and worthwhile moments while travelling through this valleys. One can start their journey to this valley from the Viswema village.
- The height of the Dzukou Valley is about 2438m
- There are different types of flowers found in this valley
5. Khonoma Green Village
The Khonoma Green Village is a very calm and peacful palce to visit in Nagaland. The Angami tribe is a major ethnic tribe residing here, they are mainly associated with agriculture. An interesting fact about this place is that this place is the first ‘green village’ of Nagaland, everything here is environment-friendly. This is the most well-known village all over the Nagaland.
- The Angami tribe was earlier into the practice of hunting
- There are very rare restaurants in this village as most believe in eating home food
Mokochung is a town in Nagaland. The place is located in the hilly areas and is surrounded by natural beauty. The sunrise from here is mesmerising. As a tourist you are bound to fall in love with this place. New Year’s here is fun and exciting. Many tourists visit this place during the New Years’.
- The “Ao” is one of the main tribe of people in Mokukchung
- Chuchuyimlang village is an interesting place here, as many of the festivals are celebrated enthusiastically
Dimapur is one of the one ofthe finest destinations to visit in Nagaland. It is full of beautiful lush-green valleys and many other places full of scenic beauty. Tourists can witness these vallies first-hand by visiting Dimapur. The Dimapur Jain Temple is another interesting place to visit. This place is really popular.
- The road conditions in Dimapur is comparatively better
- The word Dimapur literally means “Dima” means great river and “pur” means city
Wokha is home to the largest tribe in Nagaland i.e. The Lothas. It an amazing city full of green hills, swift flowing rivers and orchards which easily attracts the tourists. The wide range of flowers are both pleasant and calming tourist coming here. Mount Tiyi and Totsu Cliff are popular attractions.
- The dam locate in the Donyan river looks very wonderful
- “Tokhu Emong Festival” is the very popular festival celebrated
Tuophema is a quiet and nice place in Nagaland which is slowly becoming popular for many tourists. The traditional clothing style and the thatched type of houses has grabbed the attention of many tourists. The Terraced and Jhum cultivation is practised by the locals there, which tourists can witness. This village is full of pleasant greenery.
- The Angami Sekrenyi is the most celebrated festival in Tuophema
- The pigs are reared here for the religious and social purpose
Benreu is a wonderful village, it is located in the Peren district of Nagaland. The scenery in the place is worth dfying for. Being located in a hilly region, this place is slowly and steadily growning in popularity from being an unexplored destination; for trekkers.
- The safari adventure is really a fantastic experience
- There are many of the tribal group of people leaving
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!