Image courtesy: momo.
Assam is the largest state in north-eastern India in terms of population. This region is well-known for its big mountains, rivers, gorges and many other natural beauties, which attracts many tourists. Apart from this, tourists visiting here are also attracted to the traditional souvenirs available here. Each souvenir speaks a lot about the culture and traditions of Assam. So, let’s see the 10 best souvenirs you can buy in Assam:
Assamese Tea is well-known not only in India but all across the world. Assam falls among the few places in the world, where tea is grown in the plains. Tea that comes from Assam is known for its pleasant aroma and soothing flavour. There are many local markets in Assam, where tea leaves are readily available. If you are a tourist visiting Assam, then go ahead and get yourself some tea that will remind of this wonderful Terrain with every sip.
- The regions like Karbi, the southern Barak valley and the Cachar hills are the places in Assam which produce large amount of tea
- Assam is the largest tea producing state in India
The pickles in Assam and other North-Eastern states have quite a kick to it. These homemade pickles are tangy and spicy, whose originality is what attracts people. You can find many variants of these pickles. The only thing one needs to check while buying these pickles is the variant they like the most.
- Most of the people in Assam includes pickles in their daily meal
- Many of the pickle-loving tourists have a field day shopping here
The state produces some of the finest quality of silk. The three main types of silk that you may find here are Muga, Pat and Eri silk. Muga silk is widely used in Assam, it is mainly used for making traditional Assamese dresses. You cannot afford to miss these beautiful silk clothing. Different dress items such as sarees and kurtas are also made by using this silk.
- Muga silk is made from the silkworm “Antheraea”
- The silk found here is relatively expensive due to it better quality
Clothes in Assam have a distinct identity. There are different types of clothes available in Assam. One can find clothes in a variety of style and brilliant colour. The traditional attire of Assam carries a distinct look in itself. There are several markets in Assam where you can easily find traditional clothing.
- The traditional dress with the feathers of birds are loved by tourists
- The clothes in Assamese market are relatively affordable
5. Singing Bowls
The singing bowl is widely known by many people for its traditional Buddhist background. Some of these bowls are designed with mantras engraved on them and it is believed that it brings peace and happiness in life when played. This attractive piece is liked by many tourists coming here.
- Once you rotate the handle of this bowl you can hear a calming sound
- The price of these bowls varies according to size
The shawls that are available here are quite fascinating. One can find shawls of all colours and sizes. Many tourists are known to be simply captivated by these shawls. The shades they are available in are brilliant and is readily available in the market.
- The shawls made with Eri silk are the best
- The shawls in Assam are relatively costlier than other places
Tourists coming to Assam are also attracted to the ornaments that are available here. One can find a variety of designs in Assam. The traditional designs on each ornament presents their own distinct identity, which is liked by many. Some of the traditional ornaments are Sona, Long Keru and Jangphai. The craze for these ornaments among women can be seen at the jewellery shops.
- There are some design patterns in Assam which are inspired by the floral and faunal diversity of Assam
- These ornaments of Assam are found at very affordable prices
Assam has a series of handicraft products, the state being full of wood, bamboo and craftsmen from tribes who make them. One can easily find a variety of handicraft products here. There are plenty of craftsmen producing different handicraft products of excellent quality. The tourists visiting here are amazed by the numerous handicraft products available.
- Apart from the wood handicraft products, the metal-craft items and pottery are also fabulous
- The culture of Assam is easily reflected in various handicraft items
Toys are amongst the most common souvenirs bought by tourists. The children are fascinated by the variety of toys available here. These toys are made traditionally and ethnically for children to enjoy. Toy cars and dolls in bridal attire are popular among children. The quality of these products is also quite good which is why, if interested you can certainly buy it for your kids.
- The Pith toys available here are very distinct
- The theater craft dolls look very cute, which are liked by many children
10. Attractive Plates
The plates in Assam are also very artistic. The plates available in various designs and are beautiful to look at. One can easily identify the dishes of Assam as they have a distinct identity. One will find it difficult to choose among these beautiful art pieces.
- The Tambul Leaf Plates in Assam are very popular and are purchased by many tourists
- It feels really great when eating off these plates
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!