Image courtesy: drstrangelove423
Delhi is a very important city of India as it is the capital of this country. It is a large metropolitan city, which is also important commercially. Compared to other big cities in India, Delhi has more pollution than the others. People working here have a hectic work schedule, and are constantly looking for places around the city to get a break from this stressful life and cherish some enjoyable moments. There are many places around Delhi that is a must on the go-to list during the weekends for rejuvenation. Let us see 10 of the most popular weekend destinations around Delhi:
Hansi is a beautiful place near Delhi which falls within the borders of the state- Haryana. It is a scenic location in the lush green mountains. This place has some significant archaeological monuments. The Asigarh fort is one of the chief monuments located here. This fort belongs to the Great Prithviraj Chauhan. It is architecturally well-built. People from Delhi come here in large numbers to enjoy beautiful moments.
- This fort is named as “Asigarh” because many of the swords were manufactured in this fort
- The Archaeological survey has declared this fort as the Protected Monument of National Importance
Rishikesh is a beautiful place located in Uttarakhand, which is just a few kilometers away from Delhi. This place is situated at the foothills of the Himalayas. It is a holy city full of temples. The swift flowing water of the river Ganges is another attraction for the tourists to come here. Rishikesh is also an excellent place for yoga enthusiasts. People from all over the world come here to practice yoga.
- The Lakshman Jhula bridge is one of the main attractions of the people coming here
- This place is also known as “Gateway to the Garhwal Himalayas”
Mathura is one of the holiest places located a few kilometers away from Delhi. This place holds a religious significance for the Hindus as Lord Krishna was born here. Any person visiting Mathura gets great religious satisfaction. Many people from Delhi come and visit this place to attain peace of mind and enjoy some relaxing moments
- This place is one of the very holy cities of India
- The Vrindavan city near Mathura is also having great prominence
Kufri is a picturesque place nestled in the hills of Shimla. Compared to other places, this place is a little far from Delhi. It has time and again proven to be a trekker’s paradise filled with some amazing trekking routes. The zoological garden located here is also visited by many people. This place is a must-visit!
- Skiing is done in many of the places here
- Kufri has more that 150 species of faunal diversity
Agra is a very well-known place in India and to many in the whole world. It is located a few kilometers away from Delhi. Taj Mahal is the most frequently visited spot and a major tourist attraction. Apart from Fatehpur Sikri, Agra Fort too is visited by many tourists. The people of Delhi come here very often to enjoy the beautiful climate and have some quiet moments with these monuments. Agra is one of the most accessible and frequently visited getaway destinations near Delhi.
- The UNESCO has included the Tāj Mahal, Agra Fort and Fatehpūr Sikrī in World Heritage Sites list, all of which are located in Agra
- Shauripur of Jainism and Runukta of Hinduism has links in Agra
Dehradun happens to be another amazing place near Delhi. Located just a few kilometers away from Delhi, this place has been successful in luring many tourists for the weekend. Dehradun has some breathtaking scenic views that will simply blow your mind away! Tourists who come here can simply refresh their minds in these beautiful lush green valleys.
- Dehradun is situated between river Ganga and river Yamuna
- Dehradun is also known as the “Counter Magnets”
7. Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary
Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary is a very alluring place situated just 40 kilometers away from Delhi! This happens to be a perfect place for the bird lovers, where many species of birds can be detected. This sanctuary is situated in a lush green hilly area. Some of the species of birds found here are little cormorant, gray falcon, Indian roller, purple sunbird, black headed ibis, Siberian cranes, common teal, etc. These stunning birds with their soothing chirps are the most remarkable key attraction!
- There are many of the migratory birds coming here from Siberia and other parts of Europe
- The nearby area around Sultanpur is known as “Dhundhoti”.
Haridwar is a very sacred place for the Hindus which is located few kilometers from Delhi. People of Delhi visit this holy place whenever possible to have some peace of mind. The famous Kumbh Mela takes place annually and Haridwar is a huge crowd puller during this time. There are many temples here making the place worth visiting a thousand times over. This place definitely reaches out to people in terms of joy and content!
- This is one of the seven holiest (Sapta Puri) place for Hindus in the world
- The sacred Brahma Kund place is also found in this place
Bharatpur is a striking city in the state of Rajasthan that makes for a perfect destination for road trips. In terms of distance, it is located around 180 kilometers away from the city of Delhi. This place has some of the best scenic views, which lures a lot of tourists. It is located at a height of 600 ft. above the sea level. The prime attraction for the people who come here is the Keoladeo National Park and the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary, with an inherently rich diversity in flora and fauna. This place stands out and deserves a spot in our list!
- Bharatpur is also known as “Lohagarh” and the “Eastern Gateway to Rajasthan”
- The Keoladeo National Park is included in the World Heritage Site
The beautiful hill station of Mussoorie has always been a very popular tourist destination in India, located around 290 kilometers from Delhi. This place is so striking that it is almost a perfect description for a ‘Fairyland’ to the travelers coming here! Nicely located in the lush green valleys below the Shiwalik range, it is one of the biggest crowd pullers in Delhi for the youngsters and the grown ups alike. Also a perfect place for trek lovers, do not forget to include this in your list of popular destinations to visit near Delhi!
- This place is also called “Gateway” to Gangotri and Yamnotri
- Nahata Estate, Kempty Falls, Mussoorie Lake, Bhatta Falls are some of the most visited place here.
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!