Image courtesy: Giridhar Appaji Nag Y.
Punjab is one of the most famous and prosperous states in India. Located in the north-western part of India, Punjab is known as the “Land of five rivers”. Punjab borders the neighbor country Pakistan and has the most fertile farming areas. The state is home to religious sites, landscapes, ancient Sikh culture and traditions. There are a lot of places to visit in Punjab. Have a look at the list below:
This city has major significance to the tourism in Punjab. The city houses Harmandir Sahib Gurudwara which is also referred to as Golden Temple. It is the holiest Gurudwara in the state of Punjab. Other important tourist attractions include: Jallianwala Bagh, Akal Takht, Tara Taran Sahib, Wagah Border, Maharaja Ranjit Singh Museum and Durgiana Temple.
Chandigarh- the shared Capital of states of Punjab and Haryana, is among the best planned cities in India. It is a beautiful city that is famous for the modernized buildings but the natural beauty is intact in Chandigarh. It is heart of Punjab and has various attractive places like Rock Garden, Rose garden, Sukhna Lake, Timber Trail and Mahendra Chaudhary Zoological Park. You can simply recall it as the land of modernized parks.
- The city was designed by Le Corbusier- A famous Swiss-French modernist architect
Jalandhar is amongst the ancient inhabited major cities in Punjab. You must pay a visit to this city to know and feel the true culture of Punjab. The city has a lot of historic as well as religious tourist places such as Imam Nasir Masjid, Shaheed-E-Azam Sardar Bhagat Singh Museum, Devi Talab Mandir, Wonderland Theme Park, Rangla Punjab Haveli and Prithvi’s Planet etc.
- Jalandhar is located around 144 km northwest of Chandigarh
- Read more about Jalandhar
Ludhiana is amongst one of the most famous tourist places in the state of Punjab. It offers numerous tourists activities. Ludhiana is an old city with various ancient locations such as Gurudwaras and shrines. The serenity at Gurudwaras will give you peace from inside. Some popular attractions are: Nehru Rose Garden, Lodhi Fort, Hardy’s World Amusement Park, Rural Museum and Tiger Safari Zoo in Amaltas etc.
- Gurudwara Charankanwal Sahib Machhiwara in Ludhiana has great sacred significance
- Pir-I-Dastgir Shrine is another popular attraction in the city
Patiala is the preferred tourist destination in the state of Punjab. The most famous attraction in this city is Qila Mubarak that is spread over 10 acres area. This building is the perfect blend of Mughal and Rajasthani architectures. Sheesh Mahal is another place worth visiting in Patiala.
- The city is situated merely 65 km away from Chandigarh
- Baradari Gardens, Gurdwara Dukh Niwaran Sahib, Bahadurgarh Fort and the Baradari Gardens are some other tourist attractions in Patiala.
Known for its picturesque tourist attractions, Pathankot is the must visit place in Punjab. It is located at the foothills of Himalaya and is surrounded by Shivalik (mountain hills). The place offers serene views and has a gorgeous climate. It depicts the culture of Rajputs. There is a lot to do during the Pathankot trip.
- Top Places to Visit in Pathankot
- The city is fenced by the Ravi and Chakki rivers
Bhatinda is one of the oldest cities in Punjab and has rich cultural as well as religious significance. It has the perfect blend of various religions and cultures. Bhatinda is home to ancient Gurudwaras, historical monuments and lakes. The city has the roots with heritage of various Indian cultures.
- It is considered to be 3000 years old city.
- Quila Mubarak is a famous monument in Bhatinda, do not get confused with the fort in Patiala with similar name!
Kapurthala is also a famous city in the state of Punjab and it is also referred to as ‘The Paris of Punjab’. Nice climate and sightseeing locations are enough to give pleasant experience to the travelers. Jagatjit Palace, Moorish Mosque, Wonderland Theme Park, Radha Krishan Temple and Kanjli Wetland are few examples of top attractions in the city.
- There are more than 30 places that are worth visiting in Kapurthala.
- In British India, Kapurthala was the capital of princely state.
Ropar is also called as Rupnagar and it is one of the important ancient towns in the state of Punjab. The town is located merely 50 KMs from Chandigarh so the tourists can visit both places in one go. Birdwatching, religious and historical places and sightseeing at lake are some popular activities in this town.
- Ropar Wetland is a man-made lake
- It is belived that Ropar exists from the Harappan civilization
Mohali, also known as Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar is the commercial hub. It is home to Punjab Cricket Association Stadium. The city has many tourist attractions such as Baba Banda Singh Bahadur War Memorial and memorial where the Fateh Burj is located. Other attractions include Gurdwara Amb Sahib, Mataur Lake and North Country Mall.
- Mohali is also called SAS Nagar
- Fateh Burj is the tallest minar (tower) in India
To have a glimpse into the culture of Sikh community, the State of Punjab is the best place to visit. It has loads of points of interests for historical, cultural, sightseeing and religious tourism. Hope you like these places!
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!