Image courtesy: Jyotirmai.
West Bengal is a beautiful state that lies on the eastern side of India. It is located between the Himalayas in the north and the Bay of Bengal in the south. When one thinks of the West Bengal one is easily reminded of their famous sweet dish “Rasagulla”. West Bengal harbours many wonderful places which attract tourists from all around the world. The cultural performance in West Bengal is also amazing which is liked by all. It will be interesting to visit the many attractive places in West Bengal. Here, let us take a look at the 10 Best Places to Visit in West Bengal:
Kolkata is a famous city not only in India but all across the world. The city is home to some old British era buildings, wonderful gardens, large and small industries, delicious sweets, etc. There are many museums in the city which puts light on the historical past of this place. Kolkata city shows the overall reflection of Bengal’s culture. Many tourists visit Kolkata every year.
- Kolkata is the third most productive metropolitan city in India
- Howrah Bridge is the most popular tourist destination here
Digha is a very popular beach in the West Bengal. This beach has many amusing sites that has been luring tourists for ages. Usually the summer season in West Bengal tends to be quite hot, however, beaches like Digha helps to beat that summer heat. Apart from this, the Marine Aquarium & Research Centre and Lord Shiva Temple at Chandaneswar are other attractions for tourists visiting here.
- Digha was earlier known as the “Beerkul”
- The casuarina plantations in Digha are one of the rare plantations
Shantiniketan is a very cool and calm place in West Bengal, which holds memories of the great literary Nobel winner Rabindranath Tagore. In the year 1863, an ashram was established here and the Brahmo Samaj was initiated from this place. Tourists can visit this place and spend some relaxing time here. The gardens and parks located in the surrounding areas are also worth visiting.
- The earlier name of this place was “Bhubandanga “
- The Visva-Bharti University is a well-known university located here
Darjeeling is a hot tourist spot in West Bengal. The lush green mountains, spectacular view of Himalayas, snow-covered regions are the prime attractions for the people visiting here. There are many regions in Darjeeling where one can easily find large tree plantations. This Queen of the hills is a destination that you should visit at least once in your life.
- “Kangchenjunga” the third highest mountain in the world can be easily seen from here
- Lloyd’s Botanical Garden has many of the different species of plants
Kalimpong is a popular hill station in the West Bengal. Kalimpong has an outstanding valley region with swift-flowing rivers. The climate in Kalimpong is very cool which is suited perfectly for tourism. This place consists of large farms of ginger. There are also many small and big orchids found here. Apart from tourist one can also find many of the tribal groups like Bhutia, Sherpas, Limbus, Rais, etc.
- The name Kalimpong is derived from “Kalenpung” which means “Hillock of Assemblage”
- This place is having more rich practice of cactus cultivation
Sunderban’s is a well-known delta region popular throughout the world. This is the world’s largest delta and mangrove forest region. Sunderban’s is surrounded by the Raimangal river, Harinbhahga river and Muriganga river. This place is rich in flora and fauna diversity. Apart from that, Sunderban is a Tiger reserve forest, home to the Royal Bengal Tiger.
- The meaning of the word Sunderban is “”beautiful forest”
- UNESCO has named Sunderbans in the list of World Heritage Site
Murshidabad is located in the banks of the river Bhagirathi. Before the British Era, this region was an important location with a jaw-dropping historical past. Murshidabad is an attractive place with plain regions, permanent swamps and marvellous hill-lock regions. The Hazarduari Palace Museum, Jalangi River, Nasipur Palace, Jahankosha Canon, etc. are some of the prime attractions for the tourists coming here.
- Murshidabad is famous for the “Murshidabad Silk”
- Agriculture, handicrafts and sericulture are the main occupation of the people here
Siliguri is a very famous tourist destination lying between Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling district. The amazing views of the Himalayan mountains make the people go crazy. Vast plains of tea gardens and thick forest make this place worth visiting. The tourists here are attracted by different spots like Kali Mandir, Chilapata Forests, Coronation Bridge and Mahananda Weir Wildlife Sanctuary.
- There are large populations of Bhutanese and Tibetans people staying here
- Siliguri is the third largest city in the West Bengal
Bishnupur is a very attractive place which is home to many historical palaces and temples. The place is well-known for Malla Shree Krishna Raslilla and Balucheri sarees. There are a variety of temples here which are visited by many people. The tourists tend to visit in large numbers as the transportation network happens to be pretty good.
- This place is also known as “Mallabhum”
- The Bishnupur Mela held in the month of December is very famous
Kamarpurkur is a place for tourism which is rich in ancient elements. There are many wonderful temples, buildings and attractive monuments. This place is very famous as the great Ramkrishna Paramahamsa was born here. There are many spectacular ponds and tanks, easily attracting the attention of tourists. The tourists recieve devotional peace when they visit this place.
- The canal Bhutir-Khal is very near from this place which flows in a Zig-zag way
- Vishalakshi Temple is dedicated to goddess Vishalakshi which is believed to fulfill the wishes of her devotees
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!