Image courtesy: Rajarshi MITRA.
Kolkata is a wonderful city located on the eastern side of the country. Kolkata is the capital of West Bengal and was also once the capital of India during the British Raj. This city has been the most vibrant place for a variety of reasons including politics and culture. Kolkata was one of the most important city during British Raj and many of the industries have ushered here. Today Kolkata happens to be one of the four most developed metropolitan cities in India. Apart from that, there are many amazing places in Kolkata which attract many tourists. So, let’s look at some of the 10 Best Places to Visit in Kolkata:
1. Victoria Memorial
The Victoria Memorial is a famous tourist spot in the Kolkata. The memorial was built in memory of the late Queen Victoria. Presently Victoria Memorial is a museum where one can observe several paintings and pictures of Queen Victoria. The construction of this memorial had required an amount of around Rs.10 million in those times as it was elegantly constructed with large slabs of marbles. The memorial is amazing to look at. The Victoria Memorial is visited by a larger number of tourists every year.
- The garden of the Victoria Memorial is spread across 64 acres of land
- William Emerson was the architect of this memorial
2. Howrah Bridge
Howrah Bridge happens to be one of Kolkata’s famous Landmarks. The bridge is situated over the Hooghly river. Howrah Bridge is a bridge with a capacity carrying approximately 1,00,000 vehicles and more than 1,50,000 pedestrians daily from end to another. Every tourist coming to Kolkata simply loves to admire this bridge. Howrah Bridge is a wonderful landmark and a must visit attraction.
- This Howrah Bridge is also known as “Rabindra Setu” in memory of Rabindranath Tagore
- Howrah Bridge is the sixth longest cantilever bridge in the whole world
3. Fort William and Prinsep Ghat
Fort William is located near the eastern banks of the Hooghly river. The fort is named after King William III. The fort comprises of two parts inner Bastille and wings, which is why it is known as the “Black Hole of Calcutta”. The fort is built with the help of mortar and bricks. This fort looks royal and the tourists should visit this fort and the PrinsepGhat in Kolkata. The fort has been maintained nicely for several years.
- Fort William is spread across the area of 70.9 acres land
- There are total of six gates to this fort
4. Jorasanko Thakurbari
Jorasanko Thakurbari was the residence of the Tagore family. This mansion was built by Prince Dwarkanath Tagore, Rabindranath Tagore’s grandfather. This place is majestic to look at and is spread over a large area. Presently this place has become a museum. It reflects the history of the Tagore family. The tourists coming here are delighted to step into a time capsule and go back to the olden days.
- Rabindranath Tagore was born and died in this place only
- The festival of Aban Mela is been organized here every year
5. Science City
The Science City happens to an exciting place for people in Kolkata and the tourists visiting here. This place is a government organization that is looked over by the ministry of the culture. Here one can see various wonders of the science in a fun way. Many of the tourists from around the world visit the Science City to enjoy some exciting moments.
- Science City is largest science museum in the world
- The Grand Theater here has the seating capacity of 2232 members
6. Indian Museum
The Indian Museum is one of the oldest museums in India, which was established in the year 1814. One can see various paintings, antiquities and artefacts in this museum. Many of the rarest human and natural specimen can be easily found in this museum. The museum is visited by many tourists from all around the world.
- Dr. Nathaniel Wallich had established this museum
- The Indian Museum is looked after the Ministry of Culture
7. Kalighat Temple
Kalighat temple is a famous temple in the Kolkata. The temple is dedicated to the Hindu goddess Kali. It is one of the 51 Shakti Peethas. The temple is located on the banks of the canal Adi Ganga. This temple is a large yet beautiful piece of architecture. Many tourists coming to Kolkata visit the Kalighat temple. The people coming here are overcome with a peaceful feeling.
- The name of the city Kolkata is derived from the word “Kalighat”
- The Kalighat temple is around 200 years old
8. Birla Planetarium
Birla Planetarium was constructed in the year 1963. This planetarium is one of the three planetariums in India. This planetarium portrays incredible creativity and innovations. Captivating astronomical shows are one of the main attractions for the tourists. Space-related photos make this place very exciting. The Birla Planetarium is a place worth visiting.
- Birla Planetarium was earlier known as “Taramandal”
- This planetarium is the second largest planetarium in the world
9. Eden Gardens
In the country where cricket is considered a religion, cricket stadiums fall among attractions for people to visit. Eden Gardens is a well-known cricket stadium that is recognized globally. It is a huge cricket ground, which holds the capacity to entertain a large audience. It has hosted many international matches and tourists who visit Kolkata also prefer a tour of Eden Garden.
- Eden Garden is the third largest cricket grounds in the world
- In 1934, the first test match watch played at the Eden Gardens
10. Marble Palace Mansion
The Marble Palace Mansion was built by Raja Rajendra Mullick in the year 1835. The sculptures, floors and walls are built with marbles making it a sight to behold. The courtyard of this house is decorated in a traditional Bengali style. There is a large number of tourists who visit the Marble Palace Mansion every year.
- There are two paintings in the house by Peter Paul Ruben
- Photography is prohibited in Marble Palace Mansion strictly
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!