Image courtesy: Murali Manohar.
Lakshadweep — the name itself means ‘a hundred thousand islands’. Some big, some small, same near, while some far. Some inhabited and some deserted. Located off the coast of Kerala, Lakshadweep islands are bestowed with miles of heavenly sun-kissed beaches devoid of crowds and filled with magnificent lagoon, and turquoise blue water brimming with colourful aquatic life. Every island here is blessed with picturesque landscapes that make you want to whip out your pen and paper and get creative. The islands are gorgeous inside out and its beauty is unparalleled.
With its laid back vibe, the islands of Lakshadweep offers a multitude of experiences for any traveller; all of which are bound to create lasting impressions.
But vacationing at this beautiful Indian island is not that easy, tempting tourists all over the region remains elusive and out of reach from many travellers, owing to the huge formalities that are needed to be duly complied with before you can set your foot on these magical islands. Hence to make things a little more simple for tourists here is a simple compilation of a few Lakshadweep travel tips.
1. The Budget
Lakshadweep is not a budget-friendly holiday destination. Although the facilities offered here are pretty good, however, every good thing in life comes at a price. Similarly, the natural beauty and the peaceful surroundings of the region are just something money can’t buy.
- The number of ATM store is quite low here.
2. The Restrictions
Due permission from the authorities is required without which no tourists, Indian or others are allowed to set a foot on the Islands. Foreigners are given restricted entry that is limited only to a few islands of the region.
- The permission papers are must to show here.
3. Advanced Booking
Advance booking in any hotel in Lakshadweep is an essential requisite to get the due permissions from authorities for entering the island. Lakshadweep enjoys a tropical climate with the temperature rarely moving above 28 degree Celsius and hence carry light cotton clothing
- The region is not overtly commercialized and as such there is no such emergency medical services in the region, so do carry your essential medication and some first aid with you.
Lakshadweep is a land of beaches and corals. You can find long stretches of white and shining sands that will beckon you to enjoy a sunbath. The enchanting beaches have a lot to offer for those who come here to relax and enjoy the sunset. It is a great place to be at when you want to keep your distance from the crowd. The idle lagoons are great for spending time, watching the birds and the palms sway to the tune of the wind. The emerald green water is welcoming and a good swim in these waters is rejuvenating.
- Water sports are another reason why you should be at the beach. Besides, take a look at those attractive corals that are lying all over the island. These attractive and colourful corals make the place distinctive.
5. Cruise Journey
Lakshadweep cruise has become quite popular over the last few days. The cruises consist of luxurious amenities which make the journey a pleasurable one. Before 1962, there wasn’t any ship connecting the islands and to the mainland.
- The weather in Lakshadweep remains pleasant throughout the year but the best time to visit the place is between October and April. The temperature doesn’t usually exceed 30 degrees.
6. Food Delicacies
Most of the food cooked in Lakshadweep takes inspiration from south Indian cuisine. Foods like Appam, Dosa, Idli are generally preferred for breakfast. Cabbage, Peera, Olan, Parippu curry, PlaintainIdimas are preferred food options for lunch.
- Because of the island being ruled by Muslim rulers in its history one can also spot non-vegetarian delicacies like Kozhi Masala, IrachiVaruthathu and Chicken Curry among others.
7. How to reach
Lakshadweep is a group of small islands located about two to four hundred kilometres away from the south-western coast of India. The Island is accessible by ships and flights operated from Kochi. Kochi acts as the gateway to Lakshadweep.
The islands are not very easily accessible, but the picturesque archipelago makes it a compelling destination.
- If you ever wondered how to reach Lakshadweep, don’t worry the islands are connected with the mainland either by air or sea. Tourists visiting Lakshadweep islands need to obtain a permit to enter the islands.
Lakshadweep is not exactly a shopping destination. People visit the island not as much for shopping, as they do for spending hours on unhurried leisure time and for scuba diving which is a popular water sport. If you are still keen on shopping here, taking back some souvenir to remind you of the exceptional holiday you had, you can look for classic beach handcrafted corals shells and oysters. It is worth noting that there are not many shopping markets or large emporiums or plush malls for shopping in Lakshadweep. You can find an odd shop once in a while anywhere at the island or else you may also come across a few local inhabitants with roadside stalls.
- There are no famous shops for shopping in Lakshadweep as the island has a population of less than even a lakh people. It is not a very glamorous place for shopping but you can locate cute little gifts from shops spread throughout the island.
Visitors aren’t provided with a wide range of hotel options, however, there are a few popular resorts and hotels on the island of Bangaram. You can find beautiful cottages made out of natural elements that are eco-friendly.
- You can also stay in hotels that you will find in Kavaratti and other places. Government-run huts and hotels too are a good option if you want to stay here.
Finding accommodation on these islands is not a problem. Due to the rise in tourist footfalls every year, many new hotels and lodges are being constructed.
- These hotels are being designed to cater to tourists with varied tastes and budgets.
The location of most hotels in the union territory is simply breathtaking. The view of the greenery amidst the blue water of the ocean that you get from the hotel window explains the reason for the islands being considered a tourist’s paradise. The hotel rooms are designed with style. The facilities provided vary according to the category of accommodation you are opting for. But the basic services are appreciable enough. There are different categories of accommodation available on these islands. You may choose the one that suits your taste and budget. There are many deluxe hotels for those who want to spend the holiday luxuriously. But various budget hotels and lodges are also available here to cater to the need of those who are operating under a fixed budget.
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!